• 1 Post By meese
  • 2 Post By Dann323
  • 2 Post By murray
  • 1 Post By Firenailer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 11:14 am Thread Starter

Garage
Iron Butt

Iron Butt rally...here we go again. This is the first year that I do not see any members from here. I'm sure there are, as I have not been very active here lately. Anyone else following along?

Iron Butt Rally - 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jul 3rd, 2015, 8:23 pm

Re: Iron Butt

I've been watching the IBA site for the updates and it's neat to watch the spot tracks trying to guess where they are headed.

Those guys covered some miles on that first leg! It's a shame that couple had to drop out after the first leg when their brand new BMW1600GTL fried it's computer and is DOA. The guy sounded crushed in his Blog entry.

What an amazing Rally.

Ride Safe,

Bob
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT
post #3 of 24 Old Jul 4th, 2015, 8:39 am

The lone K1200LT died enroute... Sad, but Hatcher had 224k miles on her at the rally start!

Kevin Sawatsky, Kingston, TX
IBA #487 (IBR 2013, 48 Plus!, B2B Insanity, 10 Tenths, SS5000, 50CC, BBG, SS1000...)
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere
'05 BMW K1200LT
'03 Yamaha FJR
'01 BMW K1200LT (early version) - Sold
'99 BMW K1200LT - Sold

post #4 of 24 Old Jul 4th, 2015, 5:26 pm

What an amazing adventure. Ive read all of the books on it and am in awe of these riders.

It's fantastic to be able to watch it all as it develops, and read the reports of the triumphs and heartbreaks as they unfold each day.

Really great stuff!

Ride Safe,

Bob
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"

'12 R1200RT
post #5 of 24 Old Jul 4th, 2015, 7:25 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Thanks Patrick.
So interesting following those links.
Technology has certainly enhanced these events, but not without costs.
Reliability issues aside, it still boils down to true grit and your threshold of personal pain.
Thanks for sharing and hats off to all participants.
Cheers
patrick2000 likes this.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #6 of 24 Old Jul 4th, 2015, 7:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

I've spoken with Sam several times on various GTL issues. He and his lovely wife are good people.

I personally know how heartbreaking dropping out of an IBR can be. Sucks even more when you're feeling good and the bike fails on you.

Unfortunately, Sam took a gamble, and it failed for him. Never take a brand-new bike out on a ride like that. You have to put some shakedown miles on it first. Not only to avoid these types of rare infant mortality problems, but also to shake out all the other additions and options (fuel cell, lights, extra GPS, hydration, etc.) needed to ride an event like this.

Yes, this was unfortunate, and yes, it sucks for Sam and Sydney, and yes, there are those who will use this as an excuse to tell the world how awful BMW motorcycles are.

But they'll all get over it, and move on to the next ride . . .
dshealey, patrick2000 and BennyBob like this.

Ken
SoCal
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting . . .
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 59K miles and gone.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 32,690 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles & now rebuilt!
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #7 of 24 Old Jul 4th, 2015, 7:54 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilton View Post
Reliability issues aside, it still boils down to true grit and your threshold of personal pain.
The thing is, it doesn't have to be painful . . .

No one wants to ride in agony for 11 days (or even 1 day, really).

Which is why you spend so much time, effort, and money getting things right. The bike has to be the most comfortable place on the planet for you. Your gear has to be able to withstand extremes of hot, cold, wet, dry, etc. Every system, subsystem, and farkle on the bike has to be tried and tested and optimized. Your body has to be in shape to handle some very long days on the bike in a wide variety of conditions. And your brain has to be able to keep up with all of that, come up with a good plan (and stick to it), keep the bike safely on the road, gather whatever states or miles or bonuses they want, and not be late to the checkpoints or the finish.

Sure, it's a long, arduous task. That's the whole point of challenging yourself, really. But with proper mental, physical, and mechanical preparation, it doesn't have to be painful . . .
Hilton, patrick2000 and txvoyager like this.

Ken
SoCal

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
post #8 of 24 Old Jul 5th, 2015, 3:25 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Smile Re: Iron Butt

Quote:
Originally Posted by txvoyager View Post
The lone K1200LT died enroute... Sad, but Hatcher had 224k miles on her at the rally start!
Lots of BMW entries (33) but not many "K" bikes. Mostly RT and GS models. I do not have a "K" in the stable at present , but I have fond memories of 3 versions.
post #9 of 24 Old Jul 5th, 2015, 6:47 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

Well said Ken.
Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Having plan B helps too.
I love to look after the tiny details. Too many years flying I guess.
I should have clarified by personal pain I meant both physical and mental.

I enjoyed reading a 1956 London to Australia trip two up on a 150 cc Scoot.
Sadly a trip all but impossible today.

Modern Vespa : From London to Australia by scooter!

Cheers

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #10 of 24 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 8:39 am

According to the guys Blog it looks like he's finished the IBR a couple of times and this is his 3rd GTL. He says he's a believer in BMW and was setting out to prove that one could take a bone stock BMW and complete the IBR.

It didn't work out but it seems he's not new to the Rally and thought it was doable.

Looks like they put up the second leg scoring this morning, and the spots show the remaining riders off and running again. I'm getting tired watching it, these guys must be running on fumes!

I hope we get a couple of new books out of this one, I always enjoy reading about the Adventure!

Ride Safe,

Bob

'12 R1200RT
post #11 of 24 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 10:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
Never take a brand-new bike out on a ride like that. You have to put some shakedown miles on it first.
I agree. I don't even do a major service just before a long ride. Too many things can go wrong. On my LT once, after a valve check, my left foot was bathed in oil I noted at a stop! Valve cover gasket was janked; major inconvenience, but I was "only" 100 miles from home, and limped back to the barn.

Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga. MOA: Billings, 2015
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148

-
post #12 of 24 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 4:42 pm

Here is a link to the GTL Riders Blog if you're interested in it.

From the arguing with trolls files: K1600 Forum takedown of my issues on the Iron Butt Rally | Selil

Ride Safe,

Bob

'12 R1200RT
post #13 of 24 Old Jul 6th, 2015, 9:46 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firenailer View Post
Thanks for sharing😀
post #14 of 24 Old Jul 7th, 2015, 7:23 am

Your welcome Patrick!

I'm not a Rally rider but get the biggest kick out of following along and reading about the adventures, successes and failures these guys have during the IBR.

I'm rooting for the 79 year old guy to finish, cracks me up seeing him out there in his good - enough red and white coveralls and old school, side buckle Marlon Brando motorcycle boots. You can almost hear him as he looks around and shakes his head....."Back in my day we just rode in what we had!"

I'm surprised at how little interest it all gets on the Boards. Voni Glaves has a small
Thread on MOA, there's a little bit going on ADV, and we've got 12 or 13 posts here. Even the IBA site is only showing 400000 checks on the Spot Tracks. I find it strange that more Riders aren't following it.
patrick2000 likes this.

Ride Safe,

Bob

'12 R1200RT
post #15 of 24 Old Jul 7th, 2015, 6:38 pm
Lifetime Supporter

These guys are my heroes! As is Ken Meese, who isn't riding it his round but I know he's thinking how he would have approached the challenge. Don't know why I haven't been keeping tabs on it maybe because I was watching the women's world cup closely since a friend's daughter is on the USWNT. That was a great run as well. Now back to the IBS site waiting for the day 10 writeup.
patrick2000 likes this.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #16 of 24 Old Jul 11th, 2015, 9:50 am Thread Starter

Garage

The final standings are in.
post #17 of 24 Old Jul 11th, 2015, 10:51 am
IBR# 366

Garage

A big congrats to Eric Jewell, who has spent more than 16 years chasing that dream. Eric has ridden well over 100,000 miles during his 8 IBR rides, and spent untold amounts of time, money, and effort just to get his name etched into a lonely pole somewhere way out in the Nevada desert . . .

A special shout-out goes to Jon Good & Andy Bergman, who managed a top-10 finish two-up on a GTL.

And congrats to all the other riders who made it back home safely, full of stories of triumph over weather and adversity, and with a weary confidence you can only get by putting in the long miles.

It's a hll of a thing they've all done here.

You can find daily reports from the entire rally at this link, and the final rider standings can be found at this link.
patrick2000 likes this.

Ken
SoCal

post #18 of 24 Old Jul 11th, 2015, 2:01 pm

If I spent all that money for a brand new motorcycle and it failed on an IBI ride, then I'd be very disappoint in the product. It should operate during city, local or highway operations; Regardless of the length of the trip. Granted there is a break-in period that not to go over certain speed for the first 500 or miles.

[img]
1/7/7/5/8/

1998 Honda Shadow 65K - sold
2003 BMW K1200LT - 92K
IBI Member (1K Miles in 17 Hrs)
post #19 of 24 Old Jul 11th, 2015, 6:08 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

But Jon & Ande's GTL didn't fail. It took them to an amazing top-10 finish.

Sure, Sam and Sydney's GTL did fail, but they're dealing with it the best that they can (which is not at all the point of this thread).

And do I really need to list all the LT's, RT's, and GS's that have failed to complete an IBR? Or that have failed for so many of us on this forum? Most of those we were related to the final drive failing, which, indeed had many IBR and non-IBR riders "very disappoint" . . .
patrick2000 likes this.

Ken
SoCal

post #20 of 24 Old Jul 11th, 2015, 6:55 pm

Garage

I followed the whole thing
These guys (and girls) really are the toughest of the thoughest riders in the world.
Hilton and patrick2000 like this.

Daniel

If you can park it, and not turn around to admire it before walking away, you bought the wrong one.
IBA # 56396
MOA # 171966
R1200RT 2007
post #21 of 24 Old Jul 12th, 2015, 7:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dann323 View Post
I followed the whole thing
These guys (and girls) really are the toughest of the thoughest riders in the world.
No doubt they are!

However there are many a Rider that never will have the opportunity to compete in the IBR due to various reasons. Such as money , Family commitments and free time to be able to compete. With the start and finish in Albuquerque NM a East coast rider would need to allow about 20 days for this event. So perhaps some of the toughest of the toughest never can entertain the option to compete in the IBR.

Kudos to Jim Owen 5th place and Bob Lilly 8th place RT and GSA riders.

Imagine this ,you leave for the IBR with only 600 miles on your new RTW. You ride out to the start with now 2300 miles on your bike. You have not rode a motorcycle for over a year and you finish 5th. Indeed Jim Owen is a ANIMAL.
Dann323 and jimjim like this.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #22 of 24 Old Jul 12th, 2015, 2:03 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I stole this data from the FJR website. It speaks well for BMW, but it's only worth what I paid for it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IBR 2015 By Make.gif
Views:	118
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	84610  
post #23 of 24 Old Jul 13th, 2015, 5:21 am

Sad to see it end but a huge Congrats to all of the riders!

The whole deal is an amazing Feat and they will all be very proud of those 3 Digit IBA Member numbers that are now theirs forever. I'm looking forward to a couple of new IBR books from riders about the experience.

Here's looking forward to 2017!
patrick2000 likes this.

Ride Safe,

Bob

'12 R1200RT
post #24 of 24 Old Jul 16th, 2015, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I am surprised that the current site's members did not have more interest. The past 10 years , of the Iron Butt Rally (every odd year) were filled with posts expressing opinions , conjecture, fact, non fact, BS, and predictions. It was all good . Has the K1200LT/ BMWLT site changed this much in such a short time?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.