NW Coast - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By CWRoady
  • 1 Post By powwow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Apr 29th, 2017, 1:54 am Thread Starter

Garage
NW Coast

Planning a trip from San Diego to Seattle in August. Thinking up the 5 and back down the coast. Like to hit the Eclipse on the way back in Newport Or.. Anyone have words of wisdom on the idea?
Camping would be the ideal with a motel here and there.
Anyone interested in coming along or joining up a any point would be welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Apr 29th, 2017, 3:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: NW Coast

In late August, 2015, I rode up to Couer d'Alene, ID to the Curve Cowboy Reunion on my LT with another couple riding their K1600GT. I met up with them at San Luis Obispo, and rode through Petaluma; Ukiah; Ferndale; Eureka; Coos Bay, OR; Astoria, OR; Silverdale, WA; took the ferry to Shoreline, WA (just above Seattle), and then across Washington through Leavenworth, to Idaho. Basically, as soon as we crossed the Oregon border, it rained all the way to Silverdale, WA, so be sure to take rain gear. (I wear an Aerostich Roadcrafter R-3 suit and don't need rain gear.)

On the way back, I rode north through British Columbia and then east to Alberta, and dropped down into Montana (raining all the way and just missed a deer in BC) through Glacier Park (rain turned to snow flurries), eventually to Reno, and then the back way to Sonora, CA, and then took Highway 99 to home. I stay away from the I-5 as much as I can as there is nothing to look at and it is hotter than blue blazes in August (and pretty much other times of the year).

As previously recommended, I would suggest rain gear, and if you take the I-5, some form of a cooling vest. I took a Veskimo cooling unit, worn under the 'Stich, but a Colorado Cool vest works pretty well also in lower humidity areas.

In regards to camping, I gave that up years ago. Camping in rain is not my idea of fun, and requires lugging a lot of additional stuff around strapped on the LT. If you want to stop anywhere, then you need to worry about people wanting 5-finger discounts on your stuff, especially if you are riding alone.

You should have a great time - ride safe!

Dave Beck
'16 K1600GTLE
'07 K1200LT (sold 9/24/16)
'74 Suzuki GT750L (long, long gone)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old Apr 29th, 2017, 7:20 pm
Lifetime Supporter

That will be a nice trip, although unless you're on a time crunch I would also avoid a lot of the I-5.

I would suggest maybe using I-5 to get out of California, then cutting off on Hwy 62 at Medford, OR. Follow that onto Hwy 230, which will take you right past Crater Lake National Park. There is camping around there if you desire. From there, hit Hwy 97 up to Bend, OR (or, an alternative would be Hwy 97 to Crescent, then cut off to the Cascades Lakes Hwy, which is open in the summer...this will take you the long way to Bend with some beautiful views of the Sisters, Broken Top and Mt. Bachelor). In Bend, there are many great restaurants and at last count 26 microbreweries. It's a beautiful mountain community with a vibrant downtown (ok, I live here so I'm just a bit biased).

When you leave Bend, take Hwy 20 to Hwy 22 and on to Salem, OR. An alternative would be Hwy 97 to Madras, OR, then Hwy 26 to Portland. This will take you right by Mt. Hood...a nice side trip would be the 6 mile ride up to Timberline Lodge, one of the original lodges built by the Works Progress Administration. There's also quite a bit of camping off of Hwy 26. Caution...Madras is the community in Oregon where the best view of the Eclipse is expected. This is a very small community, but they're (trying) to plan for around 30,000 visitors. Getting through there before, during and after the Eclipse could be a traffic nightmare.

From Portland, I would probably just get back on the I-5 and head to Seattle (there is some great riding through Mt. St. Helens and Mt. Rainier National Parks if you have the time).

From Seattle, I would take the Bainbridge Island Ferry and head up to Port Angeles. I nice side trip is Hurricane Ridge in the Olympic Mountains...incredible views. From there, run along the Straits of Juan de Fuca to Neah Bay, then backtrack to Hwy 113 and on to Hwy 101. The Hwy doesn't travel a lot of the Washington coast because it's so rugged, but it's still a very nice ride with several campgrounds along the way. Pass through Astoria (lots of history with Lewis and Clark there), then on down Hwy 101 and the Oregon coast. Caution...plan some time to travel Hwy 101 in Oregon as it can move slow in the summer with all the RV's. Cape Lookout State Park west of Tillamook, OR (home of the cheese) is a wonderful place to camp right on the ocean.

Hope this helps. Good luck and safe travels!

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

post #4 of 5 Old May 19th, 2017, 8:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by powwow View Post
I would suggest maybe using I-5 to get out of California, then cutting off on Hwy 62 at Medford, OR.
Why in the world would you avoid all of the amazing roads and scenery in CA? Grab a few Butler maps and pick your favorite color for amazing roads throughout CA as well!
chromedomeRT likes this.

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
2007 KTM 300XC-w
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90
& 1968 Hodaka Ace 90

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old May 19th, 2017, 9:39 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWRoady View Post
Why in the world would you avoid all of the amazing roads and scenery in CA? Grab a few Butler maps and pick your favorite color for amazing roads throughout CA as well!
I only said that because he indicated his plan was to ride I 5 all the way to Seattle...I assumed he had a bit of a time crunch. Agree...there is fantastic riding all through CA!
CWRoady likes this.

Life happens...you control your reaction.

2015 R1200 RT (holy cow…what a bike)
2007 K1200 LT (sold)
2005 DR 650 (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra (sold)
1999 Harley Road King (sold)
1996 K1100 LT (sold)
1990 Honda Shadow (sold)
1978-1993 Raising Kids; Paying Mortgages
1975 Honda CB550 (sold but wish I still had)
Homemade Motor Bike (mounted a 3.5 HP Briggs & Stratton on my bicycle at age 12)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.