Ken Meese in IBR - Page 4 - BMW Luxury Touring Community
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #151  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 10:42 am
AlaskaFish's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hillsboro, OR, USA
Posts: 3,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Cool Re: Ken Meese in IBR

+1 on what Brian says here! At least we still have our Meese! Too bad on the IBR, but great news that Ken is OK, even if in the hospital.

Ya made a hell of a run Ken! Now rest and recover buddy.

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
I did a little research and found out Ken had some sort of a mishap. The info I was given says he is OK! But certainly out of the race. The good news he is OKAY.
__________________
John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #152  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 10:44 am
hallzee's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gold Country, CA, USA
Posts: 2,411
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
That sucks. Good news is that he's alert. Hopefully not hurt too bad...

I've been following this thread closely, and was feeling as if one of our own was going to win this thing! Heal quickly Ken, and your "bar money" is no good at CCR!
__________________
Brian
CCR: 2008, Midway; 2011, Boise; 2012, Duluth; 2014, Chattanooga; 2015, Coeur d'Alene
'13 K1600 GTL-P - "Eva"
Sold but "beloved" ride: K12 LT - "Pepe"
IBA #31242 (SSx2, BB, BBG)
MOA #136148
-
Reply With Quote
  #153  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 10:57 am
patrick2000's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Eugene, Oregon, USA
Posts: 1,134
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Ken's Ironbutt run was a daring adventure that all of us here got to enjoy for the last 11 days. Sometimes things just happen. Keeping Ken and his family in my thoughts today.

Last edited by patrick2000; Jul 1st, 2011 at 11:48 am.
Reply With Quote
  #154  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 11:00 am
STARFIGHTER's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Hot Springs Village, AR, USA
Posts: 1,561
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Thankfully, Ken has been attended to and doing well........................
50 can be very lonesome.................................
Karen and I held our breath until we read "surgery successful and doing well."
I still owe the man a few beers for an AMAZING ride.........................

Rob Jamie was also in an accident.................................
Hit a mountain lion........A Freakin' Montain Lion !!!!!!!!
What are the chances ??
__________________
Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

Reply With Quote
  #155  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 11:30 am
dshealey's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dandridge (Near Knoxville), TN, USA
Posts: 12,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Ken's current status.

I just talked to Ernie, who is a close family friend with Ken and his Wife Dale.

Dale is on the way to Reno by plane. Ernie and Pauline will be going to Reno also. Ernie said he will keep me informed so I can continue to be the voice to the group here.

As far as what happened, no one knows, as Ken has not talked about that, not even with Dale.

Good things:
Ken evidently never lost consciousness, and had medical attention within minutes, which is amazing considering where it happened. He was being taken by ambulance to Reno, but on the way across hwy 50 was transferred to helicopter.

He was operated on this morning, they had to remove his spleen, and put in a chest tube. He also has some broken fingers which have been attended to, and broken ribs.

Reports by people that have interfaced with him are that he has been perfectly lucid and able to give good information to anyone needing it. Injuries were serious, but non life threatening. Neurologically he seems to be in great shape, can move all his limbs, and seems to be doing as well as can be expected.

As far as what may have happened, as I said, anything would be pure speculation at this time, and Ernie said not to worry, whatever it is will probably be the subject of a seminar by Ken later.

I know we are all sad to see what was looking like an unbeatable run be stopped so near the end. But, now that this has happened we can all be very thankful that we will still have our Ken, to be listened to, respected, and admired, and yes even picked on by all of us. He is certainly a number one in my book.
__________________
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #156  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 11:54 am
blouw's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: San Luis Obispo, CA, USA
Posts: 393
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Ow, that sucks!
Ken, I wish you a speedy and full recovery. So close, but it was still an epic ride and we look forward to the full report.

David, thanks for the great status reports.
__________________
-Brian Louw
San Luis Obispo, CA.

2013 K1600GT - Light Grey Metallic
Reply With Quote
  #157  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 12:05 pm
reelman's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, WA, USA
Posts: 501
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

We have been following this thread closely and are so very sorry to hear about Ken's accident. Our thoughts and prayers are with you Ken and we hope you will have a speedy recovery.

Dan & Debbie
__________________
Reelman
2006 K1200R (sun yellow)
2003 K1200LT (anthracite) sold
CCR's:
2005 Grand Teton, N.P.
2007 Osage Beach, MO
2008 Midway, UT
2009 Rapid City, SD
2011 Boise, ID
2013 Bend, OR
Reply With Quote
  #158  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 12:12 pm
Gizmo1137's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken's current status.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
I just talked to Ernie, who is a close family friend with Ken and his Wife Dale.

Dale is on the way to Reno by plane. Ernie and Pauline will be going to Reno also. Ernie said he will keep me informed so I can continue to be the voice to the group here.

As far as what happened, no one knows, as Ken has not talked about that, not even with Dale.

Good things:
Ken evidently never lost consciousness, and had medical attention within minutes, which is amazing considering where it happened. He was being taken by ambulance to Reno, but on the way across hwy 50 was transferred to helicopter.

He was operated on this morning, they had to remove his spleen, and put in a chest tube. He also has some broken fingers which have been attended to, and broken ribs.

Reports by people that have interfaced with him are that he has been perfectly lucid and able to give good information to anyone needing it. Injuries were serious, but non life threatening. Neurologically he seems to be in great shape, can move all his limbs, and seems to be doing as well as can be expected.

As far as what may have happened, as I said, anything would be pure speculation at this time, and Ernie said not to worry, whatever it is will probably be the subject of a seminar by Ken later.

I know we are all sad to see what was looking like an unbeatable run be stopped so near the end. But, now that this has happened we can all be very thankful that we will still have our Ken, to be listened to, respected, and admired, and yes even picked on by all of us. He is certainly a number one in my book.
Thanks again David for your excellent reports throughout and now more importantly, following up with updates on Ken whom we all wish well and a speedy recovery.
__________________
Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
Reply With Quote
  #159  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 12:16 pm
TxWhiteKnight's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Grapevine, Tx, USA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Thanks David, I got to share some Q with Ken several months ago when here was here in Texas

Prayer on the way for him
__________________
Steve
DFW
'02' F650GS Dakar
'06' K1200GT Blue
Side Standup Radio Motorcycle Road Show
Reply With Quote
  #160  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 12:16 pm
BennyBob's Avatar
Lifetime Supporter
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Round Rock, TX, USA
Posts: 1,887
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Thanks for the update, David. Please convey our well wishes to Ken when you can. Whether to win the rally or get well from injuries, we're pulling for him. He's our hero!
__________________
Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
Reply With Quote
  #161  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 12:26 pm
dasmith59's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St Petersburg, Fl, USA
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Wonder if Ken triggered his "911" button on the SPoT tracker. I am a faithful user of SPoT and often question myself about the ability to punch the "911" button in case of an accident and also how the response goes.

Don S
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 12:45 pm
dshealey's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dandridge (Near Knoxville), TN, USA
Posts: 12,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmith59
Wonder if Ken triggered his "911" button on the SPoT tracker. I am a faithful user of SPoT and often question myself about the ability to punch the "911" button in case of an accident and also how the response goes.

Don S
I don't know any details about how he got medical response that quick. Ernie said that there seemed to be no witnesses to the actual accident, so either a driver was there soon, or somehow Ken was able to contact someone.
__________________
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Last edited by amarider; Jul 3rd, 2011 at 12:15 am. Reason: By request
Reply With Quote
  #163  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 2:08 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Barrington, NH, USA
Posts: 444
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Having just ridden this very road a couple weeks ago, yes it is very desolate, there is nothing for miles and miles at a time. And to ride it at night, who knows what kind of critters are scurrying accross the road.

Best wishes to Ken for a speedy recovery. As others have stated, you done us all proud. I have been following the IBR since the mid 90's, and I have never seen anything like what you just accomplished, you ran one hell of a rally. YOU ARE THE MAN!
__________________
Tony

2006 K1200LT "SNOB"

IBA 35008

"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders" - Ted Nugent


Reply With Quote
  #164  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 2:44 pm
dshealey's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dandridge (Near Knoxville), TN, USA
Posts: 12,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Removed by Request
__________________
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Last edited by amarider; Jul 3rd, 2011 at 12:16 am. Reason: By request
Reply With Quote
  #165  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 2:47 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Posts: 2,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Ken is in good hands now. Dayle, his wife is a great and supportive gal. Ernie and Pauline are on their way soon. Another great couple to lend a hand with whatever is needed. Ken, Heal quickly and fully.See ya on the road again soon.
__________________
Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 2:57 pm
waycoa's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Watsonville, CA, USA
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Jumpin' Jehosaphat !!! That's an amazing route!
Reply With Quote
  #167  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 3:00 pm
GTL Pilot
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Austin, Texas, USA
Posts: 8,008
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob
Thanks for the update, David. Please convey our well wishes to Ken when you can. Whether to win the rally or get well from injuries, we're pulling for him. He's our hero!
Plus one
Heal Fast My Friend & we'll see ya down the road.
__________________
Stevie Shreeve
2012 K1600GTL

YouRide.us

ASAP Motorcycle Service
Reply With Quote
  #168  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 3:14 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Louis, MO, USA
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Wow, what a great ride, and what rotten luck. Get well soon!

Certainly he was heading for Carson City and Sacramento, and probably San Ysidro. I imagine Phoenix was out of the question... do you know what time his Spot stopped moving?

It might be interesting to extrapolate his finish once the Leg 3 bonus values are known.
Reply With Quote
  #169  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 3:25 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Downey, CA, USA
Posts: 1,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Dang it Ken, glad you came through this okay. Just say the word if you or your family need anything, we are here.
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 3:42 pm
dshealey's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dandridge (Near Knoxville), TN, USA
Posts: 12,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RideToEat
Wow, what a great ride, and what rotten luck. Get well soon!

Certainly he was heading for Carson City and Sacramento, and probably San Ysidro. I imagine Phoenix was out of the question... do you know what time his Spot stopped moving?

It might be interesting to extrapolate his finish once the Leg 3 bonus values are known.
His last moving track spot was 6:45 PM Pacific.

Yes, he was headed for Carson City, Sacramento, and San Ysidro. It was going to be close, but I have confidence he would have made it. He had about 900 miles to go, with 15 hours to do it. For Ken, this would have been a no brainer to take on.

If he had, it would have been an absolutely EPIC ride. It was a monster one as it was. Even though he did not finish, I would imagine this ride will keep him in high regard in the LD riding community.
__________________
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #171  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 3:48 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: , ,
Posts: 305
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Get well soon Ken.

There's always another Iron Butt Rally. See you again, next time you come over to the UK.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #172  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 4:04 pm
dshealey's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dandridge (Near Knoxville), TN, USA
Posts: 12,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
His last moving track spot was 6:45 PM Pacific.

Yes, he was headed for Carson City, Sacramento, and San Ysidro. It was going to be close, but I have confidence he would have made it. He had about 900 miles to go, with 15 hours to do it. For Ken, this would have been a no brainer to take on.

If he had, it would have been an absolutely EPIC ride. It was a monster one as it was. Even though he did not finish, I would imagine this ride will keep him in high regard in the LD riding community.
That is what I meant Thursday evening when I said that in about 3 hours I would know if it was going to be "I thought so", or "OMG". I saw he was heading for Salt Lake City, and was waiting to see if he headed back down I-15 toward San Ysidro, or West toward Carson City. As soon as I saw him headed West on I-80, I knew it was either "Holy Cow" (Carson City to San Ysidro), or "OMG", Carson, Sacramento, San Ysidro.

Then when he dropped of I-80 onto 93 south to 50, I knew he was riding roads he liked, and felt it would be faster than I-80. When I talked to Ernie, he said that they had discussed this before the rally, having run I-80 recently and running into construction, and other craziness, so Ken decided that 50 would give him the best chance if he got that far.

Ken had stopped on 50 about an hour and 45 minutes before his accident, and transmitted the "Temp Stop" flag, we still do not know what that was about. That had worried me, as I was thinking he must have been experiencing some kind of problem

Sleep was not the issue, because he had a good solid 8 hours in Santa Fe for the sleep bonus. He was rested and chomping at the bit.

We will have to wait until Ken settles back down to daily life and is ready to talk about it.

I am pretty drained from all this, as watching his track closely for days on end, and trying to guess where he was going next was a real mental excercise. Then last night when he got on 50 headed for Carson City I was really hooked, wondering how he was going to do it and leave any breathing room, knowing he had some high traffic areas to contend with later in the day. When he stopped, my heart was in my throat, and I felt pretty helpless. I had his phone number, but it was getting "mailbox full" recordings. Needless to say, I did not sleep much last night.

This morning's news that he was hurt, but doing OK was a HUGE relief, far overcoming the sadness that he would not finish the rally, so I was high and smiling again.
__________________
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #173  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 4:17 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Creston, CA,
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Just had to join up so as to post a 'Get Well soonest' to Ken and to also applaud his epic ride. Ken is good peeps and I wish him the best.
Reply With Quote
  #174  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 4:49 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Tucson, AZ, USA
Posts: 466
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
That is what I meant Thursday evening when I said that in about 3 hours I would know if it was going to be "I thought so", or "OMG". I saw he was heading for Salt Lake City, and was waiting to see if he headed back down I-15 toward San Ysidro, or West toward Carson City. As soon as I saw him headed West on I-80, I knew it was either "Holy Cow" (Carson City to San Ysidro), or "OMG", Carson, Sacramento, San Ysidro.

Then when he dropped of I-80 onto 93 south to 50, I knew he was riding roads he liked, and felt it would be faster than I-80. When I talked to Ernie, he said that they had discussed this before the rally, having run I-80 recently and running into construction, and other craziness, so Ken decided that 50 would give him the best chance if he got that far.

Ken had stopped on 50 about an hour and 45 minutes before his accident, and transmitted the "Temp Stop" flag, we still do not know what that was about. That had worried me, as I was thinking he must have been experiencing some kind of problem

Sleep was not the issue, because he had a good solid 8 hours in Santa Fe for the sleep bonus. He was rested and chomping at the bit.

We will have to wait until Ken settles back down to daily life and is ready to talk about it.

I am pretty drained from all this, as watching his track closely for days on end, and trying to guess where he was going next was a real mental excercise. Then last night when he got on 50 headed for Carson City I was really hooked, wondering how he was going to do it and leave any breathing room, knowing he had some high traffic areas to contend with later in the day. When he stopped, my heart was in my throat, and I felt pretty helpless. I had his phone number, but it was getting "mailbox full" recordings. Needless to say, I did not sleep much last night.

This morning's news that he was hurt, but doing OK was a HUGE relief, far overcoming the sadness that he would not finish the rally, so I was high and smiling again.
Thank you for all of your efforts David, It was a huge relief here as well that Ken is OK. Our thoughts are with him and his wife and family. What an amazing ride!

Dale
__________________
"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
Charles Bukowski
Reply With Quote
  #175  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 5:24 pm
dasmith59's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St Petersburg, Fl, USA
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

David
Knowing that you put in many hours, day and night, doing the tracking and talking to Ken, you must be exhausted. We certainly appreciate your efforts. You made the Ken/IBR a super event for me and I am sure for others.
Thanks
Don S
Reply With Quote
  #176  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 6:26 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Downey, CA, USA
Posts: 1,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmith59
David
Knowing that you put in many hours, day and night, doing the tracking and talking to Ken, you must be exhausted. We certainly appreciate your efforts. You made the Ken/IBR a super event for me and I am sure for others.
Thanks
Don S
I second that. For those who haven't had the pleasure of meeting or working with David there are few people I'd rather have in my corner. We miss him out here in So. Calif. I know Ken thinks the world of him.
Reply With Quote
  #177  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 6:33 pm
nelson61's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Tracy, CA, USA
Posts: 1,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Its been a great few days following the ride..with a sad ending.Get well soon Ken. And thanks David.
__________________
Nelson
99 K1200LT

Last edited by nelson61; Jul 1st, 2011 at 6:48 pm.
Reply With Quote
  #178  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 6:56 pm
dmatson's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Torrance, CA, USA
Posts: 1,646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

This has been an exciting week thanks to David's reporting on Ken's ride. I am just glad Ken is going to be fine, he is probably figuring out how to outfit a GT1600 already. Thanks again to David for all the work, and Ken get well soon!
__________________
05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
04' KTM 950
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
Reply With Quote
  #179  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 7:32 pm
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Frankfort, NY, USA
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Kenny, what a great ride you had going, get well quickly. I was routing for you right from the start. I am from the right coast so I really can't offer any assistance but if you need anything from Central New York please let me know.

Take care.

Warren
Reply With Quote
  #180  
Old Jul 1st, 2011, 10:13 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Posts: 2,634
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

I have known Ken for quite some time now. I have tried to keep up with him but I have never been able to. I bought a GT and thought that would be the ticket to keep up with him on his then LT. I could almost do it. Then he bought his first GT. The chase was over since then. That boy can ride! A super Meese you might say. I was on another site and came across this video. Since he is ok and has a sense of humor, I thought he may get a chuckle out of it. (after his ribs heal of course) http://www.xtranormal.com/watch/12249708/super-meese
__________________
Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
Reply With Quote
  #181  
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 7:12 am
dasmith59's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: St Petersburg, Fl, USA
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Unfortunate accident for Ken, because he did have the correct strategy to win. I've never met Tom Austin from the IBR org but I would think he has a little crow to chew on. Midway through the rally his reports indicated that the Four Corner strategy was a losing strategy. The winner went from way back in the pack to winning by implementing the Four Corner strategy. Ken had it pegged correctly. I hope Ken heals fast and gets another chance the IBR.

Don S
Reply With Quote
  #182  
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 7:29 am
terryofperry's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: perry, GA, USA
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

David

Thanks for bringing us along with Ken. Please keep us informed regarding his healing process and praying he does well.

Thanks again.

Terry
Reply With Quote
  #183  
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 11:09 am
Ted's Avatar
Ted Ted is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Camarillo, CA, USA
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasmith59
Unfortunate accident for Ken, because he did have the correct strategy to win. I've never met Tom Austin from the IBR org but I would think he has a little crow to chew on. Midway through the rally his reports indicated that the Four Corner strategy was a losing strategy. The winner went from way back in the pack to winning by implementing the Four Corner strategy. Ken had it pegged correctly. I hope Ken heals fast and gets another chance the IBR.

Don S
I see it quite differently. Unless I am missing something, Ken's strategy was to ride balls-out for 11 days - trying to fit Alaska and the Four-Corners into the 48 state / state capital format.

Reminds me of a quote from the movie Top Gun - Jester: "That was some of the best flying I've seen to date...Right up to the part where you got killed."
__________________
Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554
Reply With Quote
  #184  
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 11:57 am
JPSpen's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Jones, OK, USA
Posts: 3,521
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

From the location of his accident... I'd say there's a high probability that something stepped out in front of him...

Heal up Ken, We want to hear all about it..

John

__________________
Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper" (Tis But A Scratch !)
01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!


"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"
Reply With Quote
  #185  
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 12:48 pm
dshealey's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Dandridge (Near Knoxville), TN, USA
Posts: 12,050
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Got a report from Ernie, about 9:30 PDT last night. Ken was off the ventilator, and talking to his wife. Ernie said he is "already bored".
__________________
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
Reply With Quote
  #186  
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 1:36 pm
TxWhiteKnight's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Grapevine, Tx, USA
Posts: 87
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Got a report from Ernie, about 9:30 PDT last night. Ken was off the ventilator, and talking to his wife. Ernie said he is "already bored".
Dave you can let him know I just got back from setting on a 1600 GTL for him and it will fit him nicley

Next time he is in Dallas/Ft Worth supper is on me.
__________________
Steve
DFW
'02' F650GS Dakar
'06' K1200GT Blue
Side Standup Radio Motorcycle Road Show
Reply With Quote
  #187  
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 7:24 pm
Gizmo1137's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Phoenix, Arizona, USA
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
I see it quite differently. Unless I am missing something, Ken's strategy was to ride balls-out for 11 days - trying to fit Alaska and the Four-Corners into the 48 state / state capital format.

Reminds me of a quote from the movie Top Gun - Jester: "That was some of the best flying I've seen to date...Right up to the part where you got killed."
Hard to say, none of us were there to make any judgement.
__________________
Regards & Ride Safe!

Bruce
'09 Black LT
4-Wheels moves the body, 2-wheels moves the soul.
IBA # 8547
Reply With Quote
  #188  
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 8:03 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA, USA
Posts: 602
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

For those who wish to follow Ken's progress toward a full recovery, Ken's wife Dayle is maintaining a blog and will do her best to provide daily updates. You can find the blog here: http://www.cyvarwydd.blogspot.com/
Reply With Quote
  #189  
Old Jul 2nd, 2011, 8:54 pm
hschisler's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Rushville, OH, USA
Posts: 7,588
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
Please convey our heart-felt concern and relief for Ken when next you speak with them.

Thanks Dave for your diligent updates, get some rest man
+1 on both sentiments.

RIght now I'm just glad to hear Ken is going to be OK. Looking forward to hearing from him!
__________________
Howard Schisler
2009 BMW K1200LT - 51k miles and counting
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles. Still running strong at 150k miles.
2005 Honda Shadow 650 - starter bike
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

Reply With Quote
  #190  
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:28 am
amarider's Avatar
Asphalt Surfer
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brentwood, CA, USA
Posts: 5,813
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR - Important Message!

Just had a short conversation Ken. He is doing as well as could be expected and would like to pass on his appreciation for all the thoughts and well wishes. He would also really appreciate if all the speculation and comments about his ride would slow to a stop for now.
Ken did relay that he was well rested going in to the last day of his ride with 7+ hours of down time. Again thanks so much for all the support and well wishes. I'm sure Ken will be on line and posting soon.
__________________
John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose
YOURIDE.US


Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
Reply With Quote
  #191  
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 2:27 am
cws's Avatar
cws cws is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posts: 2,696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Just breezed through this thread for the first time.... holy smokes....
all I can say is glad he's being cared for and will be OK.
We carried a SPOT tracker on our recent round Oz trip for the possibility something might happen in the middle of nowhere, thankfully never needed to use it in a serious emergency (almost... but not bad enough). If it made the difference for Ken, then its been a great investment.
Best wishes on his recovery!
__________________
Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
Ulysses #45310
GS911


Reply With Quote
  #192  
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 6:48 am
hoog62's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Orlando, FL, USA
Posts: 2,862
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR - Important Message!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider
He would also really appreciate if all the speculation and comments about his ride would slow to a stop for now.
Still trying to control the conversation...yeah, he's gonna be fine. lol.
__________________
Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"
Reply With Quote
  #193  
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 12:01 pm
amarider's Avatar
Asphalt Surfer
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Brentwood, CA, USA
Posts: 5,813
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR - Important Message!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoog62
Still trying to control the conversation...yeah, he's gonna be fine. lol.
I agree, Ken's going F.I.N.E.
__________________
John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose
YOURIDE.US


Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
Reply With Quote
  #194  
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 6:44 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Goodyear, AZ, USA
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Sorry Ken,
All the speculation and comments won't slow for a while. It was so much fun for us to watch the progress and your ride. We rode with you vicariously while we were at work, home, travelling, doing "honey do's". You brought us all together as the "BMWLT" community doing the IBR. It was great for us and you're a credit to this site. Thank you for the ride and the thrills you gave us. I hope you heal well and get back in the saddle soon.
__________________
Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
1989 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
Reply With Quote
  #195  
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 8:08 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Lake Elsinore, CA, USA
Posts: 252
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

So sad to hear I do hope all is well with Ken. He had a hell of a RIDE. We are all waiting to hear how he is doing? Jim
Reply With Quote
  #196  
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 8:37 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Downey, CA, USA
Posts: 1,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Horse
Sorry Ken,
All the speculation and comments won't slow for a while. It was so much fun for us to watch the progress and your ride. We rode with you vicariously while we were at work, home, travelling, doing "honey do's". You brought us all together as the "BMWLT" community doing the IBR. It was great for us and you're a credit to this site. Thank you for the ride and the thrills you gave us. I hope you heal well and get back in the saddle soon.
I agree. There are those who don't understand long distance riding and are aching for a chance to criticize but most of us just need to understand. Not only because we care about what happened to a very skilled fellow rider but we desire to learn from this incident.
It will certainly help to hear Ken's account but that will understandably have to wait. He has to be going through some rough times right now, both physically and mentally. It takes a while to process an event like this, especially if your memory is a bit fuzzy. He can't be expected to explain it to us until he can explain it to himself.
Reply With Quote
  #197  
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 9:32 pm
Ted's Avatar
Ted Ted is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Camarillo, CA, USA
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjordans2000
I agree. There are those who don't understand long distance riding and are aching for a chance to criticize but most of us just need to understand. Not only because we care about what happened to a very skilled fellow rider but we desire to learn from this incident.
I agree also. If you are referring to me, please understand that back in April 2008 I rode with Ken from Santa Monica to Jacksonville for a 50CC and then continued north into Georgia, the Carolinas, Tennessee and Arkansas. Since Ken was leading the entire way (he had the V-1 ) I was able to watch him do all that he does while riding for about 3,800 miles.
__________________
Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554
Reply With Quote
  #198  
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 9:53 pm
AlaskaFish's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Hillsboro, OR, USA
Posts: 3,109
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wink Re: Ken Meese in IBR

I have to say that Jim has put it as well as I could have, if not better! Whether you are willing to acknowledge it or not Ken, you have a huge following in the community here. If you must blame anyone, blame David for the great job of keeping us all up to speed on your venture. Meanwhile, we all thank him for allowing us to feel as if we were riding along!

Get well buddy. And know that the speculation will not quit. That would be like stopping a controversial discussion thread on this Site! And we all know that you enjoy those!

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Horse
Sorry Ken,
All the speculation and comments won't slow for a while. It was so much fun for us to watch the progress and your ride. We rode with you vicariously while we were at work, home, travelling, doing "honey do's". You brought us all together as the "BMWLT" community doing the IBR. It was great for us and you're a credit to this site. Thank you for the ride and the thrills you gave us. I hope you heal well and get back in the saddle soon.
__________________
John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

Reply With Quote
  #199  
Old Jul 3rd, 2011, 10:07 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Downey, CA, USA
Posts: 1,330
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted
I agree also. If you are referring to me, please understand that back in April 2008 I rode with Ken from Santa Monica to Jacksonville for a 50CC and then continued north into Georgia, the Carolinas, Tennessee and Arkansas. Since Ken was leading the entire way (he had the V-1 ) I was able to watch him do all that he does while riding for about 3,800 miles.
Relax Ted, I didn't have anyone in mind. I was referring to personal experience with those who think my enjoyment of long distance riding is crazy. I can just hear the 'I told you so's' if I have trouble on the road. That is the last thing I'm going to want to hear while I'm aching physically, mourning the loss of my bike, and second guessing any of the actions or decisions that may have contributed to my problems. This will take a while for Ken to digest, I hope he decides to fill us in later but understand there may be reasons he can't.
I agree following Ken is an experience not to be missed. I consider myself to be a good rider but riding with Ken stretches my skills in a positive way.

Last edited by mjordans2000; Jul 4th, 2011 at 1:55 am.
Reply With Quote
  #200  
Old Jul 4th, 2011, 12:42 am
Ted's Avatar
Ted Ted is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Camarillo, CA, USA
Posts: 1,980
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Re: Ken Meese in IBR

Thanks Michael. All I was saying in my initial post was that I think Alaska was a red herring this time, as compared to Martha's Vineyard in the 2009 IBR.

For the Top Ten finishers this year, four completed the Four Corners (including winner Behm, 3rd place Frens, and 9th Place Johnson on a 2003 LT!).

Four (including 2nd Place Jewell, 5th Place Gran, 6th Place Talken-Spaulding, and 10th Sperry completed neither Alaska nor the Four Corners.

4th Place Sinclair completed Alaska (2nd Place at the end of Leg 2)

8th Place Peek completed Alaska and the Four Corners, but fell from 3rd Place at the end of Leg 2.

The Alaska goers Meese, Sinclair and Peek were 1st, 2nd, and 3rd respectively at the end of Leg 2, and DNF, 4th, and 8th respectively at the finish.

Conversely, Loftus, Johnson, and Behm were 11th, 12th and 13th respectively at the end of LEG 2 and finished 7th, 9th and 1st respectively. They all completed just the Four Corners.

Similarly, Jewell, Talken-Spaulding, Gran and Sperry were 4th, 5th, 8th and 9th respectively at the end of Leg 2 and finished 2nd, 6th, 5th and 10th. These were the folks that did not do Alaska nor the Four Corners.

Interestingly, Jewel was the most Proficient (or efficient) rider (points/miles) meaning he got the most points per mile traveled, followed by Behm and Sinclair.
__________________
Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554
Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
User Tag List

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ken Meese Rides Again avonfloater North West 2 Jul 1st, 2010 12:34 pm
Ken Meese is one lucky dood! RonKMiller K1200LT 26 Sep 1st, 2009 5:22 pm
IBR 2009 News! Hot off the Press! (Ken Meese) ErnieA Bike Talk 28 Jul 9th, 2009 9:39 am
Ken Meese JPSpen Bike Talk 43 May 25th, 2009 1:25 pm
Congrats Meese on 3rd place jeffklt Chit Chat 9 Oct 7th, 2008 5:53 pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 1:55 pm.



BMW Luxury Touring is powered by: vBulletin Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. VerticalScope Inc.
Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.