When buying used BMW, does the warranty transfer? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Dec 17th, 2008, 9:40 pm

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When buying used BMW, does the warranty transfer?

Please clarify. I'm looking to pick up a used late model BMW, maybe a 2007 or 2008. I understand that the standard warranty is 3 years for new bike purchases. If I buy a one or two year old BMW, will the remainder of the 3-year warranty transfer from the original owner to me? If so, is this stated in writing anywhere, maybe the BMW site? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Dec 17th, 2008, 10:55 pm

Re: When buying used BMW, does the warranty transfer?

Factory warranty is transferable. After purchase, either the dealer will update bike's paperwork or you can call BMW-NA yourself and update their files (that is what I did myself).

If the bike has extended warranty: that depends. Some extended warranties can be transferred, some expire with first sale. That will be stated in the supporting documentation (extended warranties are produced by third parties, not by BMW).

Good luck with your next bike!

'09 R12GS, '03 R1150RT

Old Dec 18th, 2008, 9:34 am

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

The warranty is from BMW not a local dealer. The big computer in the sky knows the duration of the warranty and whoever is registered by the dealer is the one who gets it.

If you are a warranty-centered person and want the longer term (extended) warranty- call and check around before you sign up for whatever policy is offered by the dealer. There are good and better deals around but ask good questions and read the fine print before buying.

Make sure all the important features are covered, like ABS, Towing and trip interruption, coverage for your accessories and protective equipment, final drive, etc.

regarding towing... you need to be sure the policy will pay for towing to the nearest qualified service facility- not just a number of miles. One on a BMW you will find yourself riding far and wide.

CLK 350

Home Of The Free, Because Of The Brave...
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 10:16 am

Quick point: the warranty is 36 months OR 36,000 miles. Make sure you check the odometer.
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 12:44 pm

JM2CW...

I recently purchased a 2004 LT with low miles from a private seller. His ad mentioned "remainder of factory warranty until May 2009". I didn't believe it since the bike is a 2004, a 3 year warranty would take it to 2007.

Once we negotiated a deal, I called BMWNA with the VIN number to ask if it indeed has a warranty. I was shocked to find out that YES IT DOES - until May 2009!!!

So to answer your question, yes the factory warranty does transfer over to a new owner (more aptly put, I believe is it stays with the bike).

HTH!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
2004 Aprilia Atlantic 200 - April (Hers)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 1:09 pm

If anyone decides to go with an extended warranty - here's what Consumer Reports said in a full page ad last year in USA Today: (see picture below)

(I personally agree 100%, even though there are a few - VERY few - that actually benefit from them...)

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/c...ded%20warranty
Attached Thumbnails
When buying used BMW, does the warranty transfer?-consumer-reports.jpg  
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 2:38 pm

Quoted: 30 Post(s)

Ro, you are absolutely correct. Consumer Reports does say that.

When I bought my '05 RT the web community had its underwear all in a know about the final drive issue. I bought another 3 years at a price I was quite comfortable with. I have no worries about any mechanical problems until after 2011.

I feel good about my decision. You ride your own ride.

CLK 350

Home Of The Free, Because Of The Brave...
Old Dec 18th, 2008, 3:11 pm
IBR# 366

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

If you're talking about adding a $30 warranty to a $150 disposable electronics item, I agree completely.

If you're talking about adding a $600 warranty to a $20K motorcycle with a history of major mechanical failures, then it's not so simple.

I knew my GT would be out of factory warranty in a year, so adding an unlimited mileage warranty made some sense. I haven't had to use it yet, but only because BMW has been gracious enough to step up and cover some problems that occurred well out of warranty for mileage, if not time. I firmly believe that's because I have a great relationship with several BMW dealers, I'm calm but very persistent, and from the direct support I've received from this site. Not everyone out there has those advantages, nor can they expect similar treatment in similar cases.

Also, the extended warranty is transferable, so that whoever happens to buy my GT after it hits 100K miles will have some confidence in it.

You could just as easily argue that while insurance benefits some folks, it is a waste of cash for most people who never use it. Legal requirements aside, it's the same lottery that you're playing.
'12 Mineral Silver Metallic K16GTLD, 59K miles and gone.
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 32,690 miles & now rebuilt!
'07 Dark Graphite Metallic K12GT, 138,220 miles & now rebuilt!
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from . . .
Old Dec 19th, 2008, 8:40 pm

Some good info guys...thanks for the feedback. I appreciate it.
Old Dec 20th, 2008, 10:41 am

The LT I just bought was way past the original warranty but came with an extended warranty with over a year left on it. There were many hoops to jump through to and a sixty dollar bill for the transfer. The transfer was time sensitive as well. I got a letter last week announcing that the ESA company is in bankruptcy. The ESA was transferable once by their rules.

The extended service agreement was a selling point for the bike but it doesn't really matter. I love the bike and what's more my wife likes the bike.

I know this isn't what the OP was asking but thought I would throw my $.02 in. Read, reread, and read again the paper work on things like this.

Good luck on the bike.

2000 K1200LT

1978 R100S (long gone, but not forgotten)