G'day and Welcome! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 65 Old Oct 2nd, 2005, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

G'day and Welcome!

G'day (or as the Kiwis say, Kio ora) and welcome to the Australasian forum, a place for Australians, New Zealanders and others from the Asia pacific region to share stories, experiences, ideas and riding tips... (and it goes without saying that all others are more than welcome to join in to discussions...especially if you are thinking of visiting us downunder)

If you are a new member, please take a moment to complete your bio and read the board rules to ensure that this place remains a safe and enjoyable one for all...and I encourage you to promote this site to other Australasian riders...

Cheers and all the best,

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

2000 K1200LT Grey - 'The Airbus'

Last edited by onions; Oct 2nd, 2005 at 8:33 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 65 Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:50 pm

Help!!

Onions

G'day - this is a try to see if it's me or the list, how are the other Aus members going with the list.

I'm subbed ok but cannot work out how to get the various digests I prefer. Nothing I try seerms to work.

My server tells me there is nothing wong down here and the list admins say the same thing.

Any ideas greatly received.

Cheers
Nils
Tassie
post #3 of 65 Old Oct 30th, 2005, 3:58 pm Thread Starter

G'day Nils,
Great to hear from you!

What exactly is the problem that you are having and we can see if we can work it out. I haven't heard of anyone else having problems... Drop me a PM if you like describing the issues and we'll take it from there mate,

Ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #4 of 65 Old Oct 30th, 2005, 11:56 pm

Help

Thanks Ian

Glad to know there's someone out there!!

Dunno what's wrong but I've subbed on several times and I thought I'd selected the threads (forums?) I wanted.

Need to do this in digest mode as I'm on a slow dialup and only download once a day.

Anyway. To keep it simple.

I'm subbed to the list ok and did get your reply obviously so now - how do I get to digests ?

The list site shows nothing selected but I thought I'd done this a couple of times.

Any info gratefully received.

Nheers
Nils
Tassie
post #5 of 65 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 12:50 am Thread Starter

Nils,
Two ways of subscribing that I know of. One being to open the forum that you wish to subscribe to and under the menu 'forum tools' at the top, select 'subscribe'. The other method that I am aware of (but haven't used) is via the User CP (control panel) subscribe to the forums. This second method you have to type the name of the forum...much easier IMHO to enter the forum and use the tools there...

As for 'digests'...I must be having one of my blonde moments as I'm not sure what exactly you mean by such...

Cheers,

ian

Ian
Melbourne, Australia

post #6 of 65 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 1:51 pm

As for 'digests'...I must be having one of my blonde moments as I'm not sure what exactly you mean by such...

Cheers,

ian

tut tut Ian,......all those peroxide riders out there are now gonna feel ..errrrr sorta "highlighted"...(ugh...sorry for the pun).

The digets mode (digets mode??, ....getting my "fingers" (aggghhhh another pun) all crossed up here hehehehehe should be "digest mode") was a feature offered on the original server whereby a single file, compiled of all new emails would be auto sent to those subscribed to the digest mode....it saved logging on logging off throughout the day to catch up on news etc etc...

Beryl hopefully should be back on the operating table this week....getting her head sewn back on....that wet stuff is falling from the sky again this year....hopefully should all be finished for the year by later on this week......

Heyyyyyyyyyy you got that silly Victorian donkey race on today huh?? what a way to get a public holiday.............

cheers

Phill

78XS1100E "The Tardis" (ret)
99K1200LT "Beryl Beemer"
post #7 of 65 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 4:25 pm

Help

Ian & Phill

Digests are the consolidated emails. Sent off as one email about 10 miles long but much more convenient for us dialups and it contains all the letters on whichever forum you select.

Ian -Thanks - I'll try your suggestion next time online - thanks for the help and I'll let you know how it goes. You going on the next Safari in April?

Phill - Ok so what was the problem - I tried several time but my emails to you bounce.

Cheers
Nils
post #8 of 65 Old Oct 31st, 2005, 8:43 pm
cws

Garage
"Heyyyyyyyyyy you got that silly Victorian donkey race on today huh?? what a way to get a public holiday............."

very cruel, Phil... but damn funny ;-)

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 65 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:09 pm

trade

Would like to trade bikes, for a ride that is. I'm near Seattle, Wa. Would like to come to Aus to ride your bike, and you come here and ride mine. Thanks, Steve. sswhite@whidbey.com

sswhite
post #10 of 65 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 7:22 pm

G'day all

Hi from Coffs Harbour (gods country)

Anyway I only just discovered that we have our own 'Australia' Section on this great website. There are so many areas to choose from for information. When I registered earlier this week I didn't realise we had our own section. No matter.
I got a warm welcome when I posted a query 'Cornering Techniques - where has it gone' in the 'BIKE TALK' Forum which I thought I'd discovered while browsing this site, albeit, as it turned out, was actually another BMW site. The topic generated a bit of interest by other members and I eventually relocated the thread and posted a link to it in my thread. Some very interesting pointers. Always trying to improve to be a better rider.
I also like the fact that there is a photography forum seeing I am interested in doing ride footage on video although it seems there hasn't been much of a response there yet.
Can anyone tell me if anyone bothers to use the 'Chat' room feature available on the site? if so what times do ppl usually go in there mingle ?

the 'RT Series' forum with 'Show us your scoot'

Ross (Coffs Harbour, NSW. Australia)
Ulysses Member #28298 aka 'The Mule'

post #11 of 65 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 7:47 pm
cws

Garage
Hi Ross.
Looked into the chat area once or twice, but no-one online. Best thing to do is post under the Aus section for local stuff, or the main forum for general questions. Lots and lots of good info, much of it hidden in past posts, but the search function is very useful. Also check out the FAQ & Hall of Wisdom before asking, you'll probably find answers are there already in a lot of cases.
regards

Chris
Sydney, NSW

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 65 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 8:20 pm

Hey Chris CWS

Yep know how it works m8 did all that before I did post for as you say sometimes they get buried under all the other info that gets posted.
A site I found was really good especially for posting great rides or simply as a navigating tool to plan a trip or ride is www.motowhere.com
Being in the Ulysses club where we have rides every 2nd week it can be invaluable for when you head off to the AGM or merely see what other branches recommend in their areas as good rides if you happen to pass through that area.

post #13 of 65 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 9:06 pm
cws

Garage
Great link! thanks, didn't know about that one. Will have to study it a bit.
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #14 of 65 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 10:06 pm

No worries Chris

Just noticed that you are a ulyssian in signatory I am 'the mule' on the ulysses site. Did you happen to get to Coffs this year for the AGM ?
On motowhere there are a couple of routes created by me alias 'the mule'.
One hates having Waterfall Way up to Dorrigo or the Armidale to Grafton Rd through Nymboida to play on.

post #15 of 65 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 10:35 pm
cws

Garage
A group of us did! see this thread.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #16 of 65 Old Nov 1st, 2007, 11:35 pm

Cool thanks for the link Chris in such a big world it always amazes me just how close knit we can be. Will have to read the pages on that link and see if I have already met any of this crowd as I was one organised the forum users dinner at Coffs ended up with over 130, quite a few not having met anyone online in person so was a great success aside from huge spread of food on the night.

post #17 of 65 Old Nov 4th, 2007, 1:00 pm

G'day Mule and welcome to the site. Good to see another old fart on board

Regards

Big Dog
'04 K1200LT
Ulysses #33984
Cogito Ergo Sum: I think, therefore I am.
What am I?

post #18 of 65 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 3:50 pm

Re: G'day and Welcome!

G'day all,
just found and joined BMWLT and the Aussie forum ...... Lets see what you mob are like, any one from FNQ?

07 K1200GT
Ulysses #49234
BMWMCQ #2001
post #19 of 65 Old Apr 7th, 2008, 7:44 pm

Welcome Bundy

I am as far south as you are north ( vic. ) but good to see you in the BMW club - when are you getting your LT?

John.
post #20 of 65 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 5:44 am

Hi John,
I have GT, would loved to have got an LT and would have if they had the same motor as GT.

Good to be back on a BMW, it's been too many years .......... all ready done return trip to Melbourne and will be passing through at least once this year.

07 K1200GT
Ulysses #49234
BMWMCQ #2001
post #21 of 65 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 6:37 pm
cws

Garage

welcome Bundy. We forgive you for not getting the LT...
I've seen a few GT's on the roads around Sydney, but not many users seem to join the forum. Maybe they think they won't have any problems cause its a beemer..., or they dont want to "talk" to us "old farts".

Chris
Sydney, NSW

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #22 of 65 Old Apr 8th, 2008, 7:06 pm

Thumbs up Re: G'day and Welcome!

welcome Bundy

from in between FNQ & FSV

Coffs Harbour
And dont worry if you havent got an LT

I still have a 90 K100RT although I have done it up and added bits to better than the LT albeit I would like to have a 1200 one day although I believe the 1200 doesn't seem to have the same ground clearance of the 100's and 1100's have.

post #23 of 65 Old Jun 15th, 2008, 8:35 pm

Hello to all. I have just bought an LT, but have done quite a bit of cruising on my 1200C and 1150GS.. Hope to do lotsa K's in the Big Fella .. I pick it up this week in Newcastle and after a quick ride to Sydney, its up the Putty Road, then Thunderbolts Way, before heading thru the Fabulous Gold Coast and home to Cairns
post #24 of 65 Old Jun 15th, 2008, 8:42 pm
cws

Garage

Welcome Des.
What a geat ride home you'll have... if the rain stays away.
Being retired and you like riding... maybe a good chance you'll get to the Snowy Ride?
What year model did you purchase?
I noticed the other day there's still quite a bunch on bikesales asking high $$$
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #25 of 65 Old Jun 16th, 2008, 12:10 am

Hi and welcome DesPRado

Thunderbolts Way gee decisions decisions if you come down waterfall way through Dorrigo you will come through Coffs so drop us a pm and will give you contact details try and meet up otherwise you will have lots of fun going through to Grafton via Nymboida. Or are you going to stay inland

post #26 of 65 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 7:12 am

of interest to ulyssens for the pen agm theres a mob of us riding from goolwa sa to the top of the murrey,then across to Penrith, riding about 300 kl a day and being disgracefull by night, This is my first time on here, be gentle
post #27 of 65 Old Aug 27th, 2008, 7:23 am
cws

Garage

Welcome Tony.
That should make for nice ride, as long as you behave yourselves on the way...
Check the threads for the Snowy Ride in Nov.. if you want to have a practice run.
I'm sure a few of us will get to meet up Penrith... but is such a boring ride out the M5/M4 for me, might have to go via Kangaroo Valley or something to make it interesting
cheers mate

Chris
Sydney, NSW

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #28 of 65 Old Aug 28th, 2008, 8:27 am

Hiya Tony
Sounds like a nice ride, but only 300kms a day !!!!! Thats not even a tank full of juice ..... Oh! I see, its the "being disgracefull by night" thats the problem. you think thats all you will be able to handle the day after the night before hey. Sounds like its gonna be a pretty interesting trip then.

Orange, NSW
'99 K1200LT - Basalt Grey (traded in for)
2007 GL1800 - Dark Orange Metallic
Ulysses Member 32701

Last edited by BrianD; Aug 28th, 2008 at 8:35 am.
post #29 of 65 Old Aug 1st, 2011, 6:47 am

Hey guys,
Looks like its been a while since this thread has seem some action so I thought I would throw up a pic of my 07 RT-P. Well maybe not iPad won't allow it...

2007 R1200 RT-P Ostra Grey

Pilgrims CMC
South Australia Chapter
post #30 of 65 Old Mar 14th, 2012, 4:10 pm

Looks like this part needs waking up.
Started on a K100RS somewhere around early nineties which I had to give up as the first child came along.
20 years later got a 2nd hand 2004 1150RT. After the ashtray was full, all farkles attached and working and bike brought to 100% mechanically, replaced it with a 2005 1200RT.
Now doing the same to it.
It will have to last until the new water-cooled boxer has been out for at least a year.
post #31 of 65 Old Mar 15th, 2012, 6:18 am
cws

Garage

Chris
Sydney, NSW

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #32 of 65 Old May 1st, 2012, 8:57 pm

Hi all,
Have been viewing this site for some time researching the 1200lt. I did (still have it) ride a 1995 1100lt for a number of years and just 3 weeks ago today picked up a late 2004 1200lt. Love the bike. The misses also loves the ride. Yet to go on a long trip yet. But can only imagine she will sleep most of the way.
Lot's to learn about the bike, it's likes and dislikes. Speed humps and sharp drive ways have to be shown respect. It bottoms out easily I have found. Had the wife on the back and neglected to stiffen up the rear. Result, scrubbed out on the fairing in a moderate bend.
I live in Seven Hills NSW and would like to catch up with others to seek advice and just to admire the bikes.
post #33 of 65 Old May 1st, 2012, 9:07 pm
cws

Garage

Hi Brian.
Seven Hills probably puts you more out Phil Ward's way than mine....(Little Bay)
welcome to a wealth of info on the LT..
Is it a 2004 (older style with the radio display above the oddments box) or 2004 - Europe, which is when it changed slightly and was called a 2005? eg, my 2005 was built April 2004...

EDIT: OK, just saw an older post of yours... its generally called a 2005 model to save confusion..

How many K's?.. you might find the rear shock has just about had the best out of its life.. the rear preloader can have a touch of oil topped up which helps, but past a point its better to put a new shock (or spring) in it, especially if you're going to do a lot of 2-up.

cheers & welcome

Chris
Sydney, NSW

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #34 of 65 Old May 1st, 2012, 10:09 pm

Hi Chris,
Okay then it is the 2005 with 30k's on the clock. I am the third owner and going by the size of the previous owner, and the statement that was made that most of his k's were 2 up, I was thinking perhaps the rear may need replacing.
Looks like I will be researching the pros and cons of various shocks and spring combos.

I also think my rear rotor is near replacing. As the belling is quite loud. I guess this is the sort of item that would be nice to have an experienced eye look over.

Thanks for the welcome.
post #35 of 65 Old May 1st, 2012, 10:28 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfree
Hi Chris,
Okay then it is the 2005 with 30k's on the clock. I am the third owner and going by the size of the previous owner, and the statement that was made that most of his k's were 2 up, I was thinking perhaps the rear may need replacing.
Looks like I will be researching the pros and cons of various shocks and spring combos.

I also think my rear rotor is near replacing. As the belling is quite loud. I guess this is the sort of item that would be nice to have an experienced eye look over.

Thanks for the welcome.
Heh, heh... that description brings someone to mind that we haven't heard from in quite a while... what colour is it, and any idea who the previous owner was??

Don't sweat the cow-bell, the rear-rotor "floats" as part of its design, but it makes a stinker of a noise.
A few years back BMW offered a recall/swap on the rotor (here's a thread about it).
The new one's been as quiet as a mouse ever since.
There's a cheaper alternative from EBC (do a search, EBC brake rotor) that many guys have gone with to overcome the clanging.

I've just been emailing Dennis in Tassie about Wilbers shocks, but try to top up the OEM pre-load first, it probably needs it. Here's how. If you do it, use something with a flat end (ie, not sharp) to push down the plunger...

Chris
Sydney, NSW

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #36 of 65 Old May 2nd, 2012, 4:47 am

Hi Brian,
Another '05 rider here. Ive been known to frequent Pie in the Sky at Cowan. If you ever ride up that way (the old Pacific Highway) and spy my ride, drop in and say hi.

cheers,
Greg

2005 K1200LT, Light Yellow Metallic
Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS
post #37 of 65 Old May 2nd, 2012, 6:44 am

HI again,
I see that a number of riders are Ulyses members. I know a few, and as a prog ressive ageing person myself, it might be timely to meet up. Where and when is the next meeting? I believe Castle Hill some where.

2005 dark Blue with chrome option
post #38 of 65 Old May 2nd, 2012, 8:13 pm
cws

Garage

Quote:
HI again,
I see that a number of riders are Ulyses members. I know a few, and as a prog ressive ageing person myself, it might be timely to meet up. Where and when is the next meeting? I believe Castle Hill some where.
I don't know if the other guys are active Ulyssians, must say I'm not but it's useful for 10% discount on my insurance premium, which covers its cost and I get the monthly magazines to read...
Meetings are wherever the branches are located, my nearest Group is around St George area, and not exactly local to me.

Chris
Sydney, NSW

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #39 of 65 Old May 3rd, 2012, 2:10 am

Quote:
HI again,
The meeting you mention is the Saturday morning gathering of the Hills Branch at Pirate Pete's in Dural.
I went one Saturday and sat amongst them but no one extended a greeting. I have ridden with them on a Friday ride a while back.
You don't have to "belong" to any branch just check out their ride calendars and go along.
The wife and I join up with other Ullyssians at Brooklyn for breakfast on the first Sunday of each month.

It would be great to have an LT gathering sometime but these days most people are time poor. Maybe one day...

Ulysses member #60049
Fixed the cowbell • replaced quick disconnects• replaced stereo x 2• installed Trunk
latch kit• installed DRLs• performed minor service• replaced rear shock• Z-technic windscreen• Wilburs front shock• HID upgrade• Serviced EHCS
post #40 of 65 Old Jun 30th, 2012, 1:17 am

G'day from down under.. Been sniffing around here a little while doing a little research and fact finding on the R12RT since Picking myself up a nice clean 2008 RT-P.

My first 2 wheeled beemer, I've had a couple of the cage variations and currently own a 2010 Z4 Sdrive35.

Been riding in some form or another for over 35 years. The RT-p replaced a Kawasaki Vulcan 1500. I felt like a bit of a change, a little more speed and sharper handling, but still comfy enough for the long distance stuff... Too old and stiff for going back to a sporty

I've still got a chopped up V twin for bad ass days

This is a pic thread so here it is as it arrived

A bit too much white so I broke it up a bit with some BMW Motorsport colours

still need a bit of a trim

and this is the 800 Vulcan for the bad ass days I mentioned

Geoff c likes this.

Ian
2008 R1200RT-P
1998 Kawasaki VN800 Custom Chop
2000 Kawasaki VN1500 - Sold

post #41 of 65 Old Jul 6th, 2012, 1:35 am
cws

Garage

Nice job on the RT... I'll bet it's fun to ride up behind people on....

Chris
Sydney, NSW

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #42 of 65 Old Feb 4th, 2013, 3:32 pm

G'day. I'm in Sydney and bought a 2012 RT in June of 2012. I think I've seen some LT's at Pie in the Sky (which I frequent often) and I even rode up to Grafton and stopped at Coffs and saw an RT at the local Ulysses morning cuppa when I dropped into Maccas for a breakfast. So maybe I've already seen your bike.
Barry

2012 R1200RT
post #43 of 65 Old Feb 5th, 2013, 2:08 am

Welcome Barry,
I'm on the gold (metallic yellow) LT that is usually parked up there thru the week.
We sit on the upper level so just come up and say g'day

I've also just come back from a trip up to QLD via Coffs. It's a great place!

cheers,
Greg

Ulysses member #60049
post #44 of 65 Old Jul 13th, 2013, 2:21 am

Hi guys
Been out of action due to shitty work commitments bike is languishing under back veranda. desperate for a ride. We used to do 20.000 ks a year only done 10.000 in last 5 years still same bike
Stupid!!!!!!!!!! we set up a Coldrock icecream shop: seven days a week 9am till 10.00 pm 965 days for five years now, I turn 60 this year, I'm stuffed. cant sell it as banks wont lend to anybody. great that the economy is so great...........what a crock of shit polys talk Really trapped here. Good thing I am not a drinking man. FAAAARK.

02 BMW K1200LT. 02 Aprilia Caponord. 76 BMW R90/6.
post #45 of 65 Old Jul 13th, 2013, 7:50 am
cws

Garage

Hey Dave, been a while.... Guess business really sucks in winter?
Good to hear you still have the bike... and hanging out for a ride!
Cheers mate

Chris
Sydney, NSW

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #46 of 65 Old Dec 18th, 2013, 10:46 pm

G'day All,
Been looking this forum over since we [wife Jools & I] bought our new ride, 2013 RT1200SE in August and we've found some really useful info about the new ride already.

We have just stepped off a 2006 FJR1300, [now up for adoption] which we have seriously enjoyed.

We have really enjoyed the touring we've done on her and we've formed some really great friendships thanks to being involved with the Aussie FJR13.ORG Forum.

We are in our fifties so hopefully the extra comfort of the RT is giong to go along way to keep us at it for a long time to come.

Hope to meet some, or better, all of you soon in our wonderings.

smurff
post #47 of 65 Old Dec 19th, 2013, 5:39 pm
PCH

Welcome
You have a great bike there and many many miles of fun to occur. In your travels if you get up to QLD let me know and I can show you some great bike roads or help you plan your route.
Merry Christmas and a Safe New Year
Regards
Paul

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #48 of 65 Old Dec 19th, 2013, 5:45 pm
PCH

Welcome
You have a great bike there and many many miles of fun to occur. In your travels if you get up to QLD let me know and I can show you some great bike roads or help you plan your route.
Merry Christmas and a Safe New Year
Regards
Paul

PCH
R 1200GS 2015
R 1200 RTSE 2013 90th Anniversary
R 1200 RTSE 2008 gone at 100k km
R 1100 RT 1999 Gone at 60,000 kms
Various other Japanese bikes over many years.

"Be kind to everyone, it is easier and a whole lot less trouble"
post #49 of 65 Old Aug 6th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Hi all,

Newbie here. From just north of Brissie.

Taking the bike in for a service so I can enjoy riding it a bit more.
Second BMW I have owned is a 2008 R1200RT.

Previous was a R1100RT in New Zealand.

Cheers
post #50 of 65 Old Aug 6th, 2014, 11:52 pm
cws

Garage

G'day Pierre

Chris
Sydney, NSW

Ulysses #45310
GS911

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.