R1200 RT for Sale + Selling advice? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By toastytrotters
  • 2 Post By Axle
  • 1 Post By Rod788

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 26th, 2016, 6:01 pm Thread Starter

R1200 RT for Sale + Selling advice?

Hi All - Its that time.. the RT is not getting the usage it used to as I spend more time on my GS Adventure (mid life crisis enjoying the off-road experience!)

Its a 2010 R 1200 RT, UK model with around 6.5K miles (approx 11Kms). It is in excellent condition and I have owned it from new, being an import the only minor issue is that the speedo is in mph, kmph is on the inner dial but it is not as easy to read when the bike is moving. I normally use a GPS for speed instead.

I am always nervous about selling privately, would appreciate any insight from the folks on here on how best to do it. Do you let them test ride? how do you ensure its genuine and they don't ride off into the sunset on your bike etc?!!

If anyone on here is interested in it, I am in North Sydney, NSW and I am looking for $14K (I will throw in the GPS and pannier bags)

Thanks for your help!
Geoff c likes this.

-------------------------------------------------------
Mark

BMW R1200GSA (2015 model)
BMW R1200RT (2010 model)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 27th, 2016, 6:04 am

Garage
Re: R1200 RT for Sale + Selling advice?

there is not really any best way to sell, do what ever you can to get rid of it. Be very careful with scammers on bike sales etc. the fact it is imported should not be a problem as you have it registered in NSW. NO road test unless you are holding 14k in your hand, meet at a location away from your house, and do not give them your address unless you have the cash in your hand. most people are honest but unfortunately the dishonest ones stuff it for everybody.
Nil_Time and Geoff c like this.

Regards Linton

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 28th, 2016, 8:54 pm
cws

Garage

Mark, I've sold a bike and a car for friends (headed OS) through Gumtree, plus a few items of my own.
I also bought my GT off a seller through Gumtree.

It's free to list there... only pay if you want to upgrade the ad to keep it at the top.

On test rides, only if holding their license and proof of ID.... at least make a photocopy of it if you have a home printer/scanner.
I guess holding the cash is also an option.... but I don't know I'd be handing over the cash without a test ride first.... there's risk both ways.

I rode behind the guy when I let him test ride the F800GS I sold... make sure he could ride it OK. He was by himself, no mates hanging around.

Good luck with the sale.
cheers

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 30th, 2016, 8:38 pm

14 K For a 2010 ?
No offence but the price may be a bit hi. My 14 RTW w / 10K miles I was going to ask $12,500 .

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #5 of 7 Old Jan 7th, 2017, 11:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by murray View Post
14 K For a 2010 ?
No offence but the price may be a bit hi. My 14 RTW w / 10K miles I was going to ask $12,500 .
Pete

Aus Dollar equals about 72 US cents so your $12500 is worth about $17300 AUS. 2010 model though.

New bikes seem expensive in Australia when compared to USA.

Rod
Geoff c likes this.
post #6 of 7 Old Jan 10th, 2017, 7:15 pm

I have always took them for a ride as pillion. That's easy if one has an LT for sale ..... Never let them ride it - plenty of other bikes they can ride somewhere else but l have never been in a hurry to sell. I'm very meticulous with my bikes and l think it shows through to potential buyers and they soon know that your bike (and you) will be genuine if you present it accordingly. thorough service records speak for themselves.
I have always used Bikesales and stated text messages or emails will not be answered- worked for me but again, l wasn't in a hurry.

Good luck!
post #7 of 7 Old Jan 11th, 2017, 4:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Mark, I've sold a bike and a car for friends (headed OS) through Gumtree, plus a few items of my own.
I also bought my GT off a seller through Gumtree.

It's free to list there... only pay if you want to upgrade the ad to keep it at the top.

On test rides, only if holding their license and proof of ID.... at least make a photocopy of it if you have a home printer/scanner.
I guess holding the cash is also an option.... but I don't know I'd be handing over the cash without a test ride first.... there's risk both ways.

I rode behind the guy when I let him test ride the F800GS I sold... make sure he could ride it OK. He was by himself, no mates hanging around.

Good luck with the sale.
cheers
These days you could always take a photo on your phone along with one of the person riding the bike as proof of Id should they go missing with the bike.Good luck with the sale.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.