: Reflective Kit for R1200RT?

dreamwave6
May 4th, 2011, 8:45 am
Has anyone bought/installed one of these rear reflective 3M Scotchlite kits from MotoEquip (http://www.motoequip.com/RK.htm) on your RT? If so, are you happy with it?

Thanks,

Andrew

hopz
May 4th, 2011, 8:53 am
I have the Scotchlite reflective kit on my RT and really like it.

My kit was installed from the fellow who sold it. Look around the interweb and you will find a lot of individuals who have the material and the tools to cut the kit, or buy from a vendor like you named.

I am very pleased with mine regarding conspicuity in the otherwise dark nights.

Install can be tricky...fyi.

cessna
May 4th, 2011, 9:16 am
I have the kit on mine too and really like it. It will greatly increase your visibility from behind at night as the pics show. During the day they just look black.

Atomicman
May 4th, 2011, 11:01 am
I have the kit too!

I bought it on ebay for about $10-12 and installed it myself. Very easy to install by the soapy water method. You get theach one and place and use something (find some fairly soft squegee) to get the air bubbles out. I have had it on for about 18 months and is working great, very reflective when light hits it. my bike is black so pretty much disappears when not lighted!

JayJay
May 4th, 2011, 2:18 pm
Has anyone bought/installed one of these rear reflective 3M Scotchlite kits from MotoEquip (http://www.motoequip.com/RK.htm) on your RT? If so, are you happy with it?

Thanks,

Andrew
Yes and Yes. My wife tells me it looks kind of funny from the rear - not a real reflection but more of a glow.

Between that on the bags, the Skotchlite trim on the jacket and the reflective tape on my helmet she says I show up real well. And that's the idea.

JayJay

dreamwave6
May 4th, 2011, 10:14 pm
Thanks everyone for your input and advice. I am definitely planning now to get one of these kits!

Andrew

steveaikens
May 5th, 2011, 7:26 am
I have the Scotchlite reflective kit on my RT and really like it.....

Install can be tricky...fyi.
Oldwhatshername and I used to sell this 3M tape at rallies we went to. I used to have a copy of instructions we gave out with it for easy installation but can't find it.

Here's how: Gather the tape, a small squeegee or something you can use as a squeegee [I've used a microfiber towel but it's not the best] to push out air and water bubbles, saddlebag or other surface you want to install the tape on, a hairdryer, a sewing needle and a bucket of warm water with just a little dish soap mixed in it.

Thoroughly wash the surface you want to mount it on. Dry the surface. Wipe the entire surface you want the tape to adhere to with a lint free [microfiber is best] cloth soaked with alcohol. Wait for the alcohol to evaporate. This is to make sure you have removed any oils. Lay out the tape flat in the sun with the reflective side up for a few minutes to warm and flatten the tape. Once prepared to install the tape, thoroughly wet the surface you want to attach the tape. Remove the backing from the tape, dip it through the warm water then carefully - quickly - apply the tape lightly onto the surface. While wet, the tape can be re-positioned some. Once you're satisfied with it's position, hold the tape in place near the center and use your squeegee to push water and air bubbles out from the center to the outside edge. DO NOT try to squeegee a little at a time. One full stroke from the center to the outside edge and overlap each previous stroke slightly continuing full circle from the first stroke back to that first stroke clockwise or counter-clockwise.

If you still find air pockets [not unusual] use a hairdryer to warm the tape and carefully prick the bubble with a needle at one side of the bubble [not the center]. Carefully from the opposite side of the hole in the bubble, use the squeegee to push the bubble out toward to hole.

Slow and steady wins this race and if done properly, that tape will be on that surface as long as you have the bike.

TheoM
May 6th, 2011, 7:31 am
When I first got the bike, I followed another rider (not BMW) who had this stuff on their top box. When the headlight was perpendicular to the reflective surface, it reflected very brightly. The glow happened when the light wasn't perpendicular. I was impressed enough to pick up this stuff at my dealer.

I used a grease-pencil to outline where the material should be located for positioning, but I wish I had thought of the soapy water method! I did use a hair dryer and needle to get the few bubbles out, but the rest of it actually stuck-on very smoothly.

The smarter half was following me in her car after I put the stuff on and she was very impressed with the reflectivity. I just have the stuff on the side case cover half of each bag. I'll probably do the inner half and the top box this summer. My RT is black, so the stuff kind of disappears in the daylight.

Highly recommended!

pikax
May 6th, 2011, 11:24 pm
what do you guys think of putting on some of these inexpensive led strips that are available now vs. the reflective kit?

if the headlights on the car that is following you isn't very strong, is it still very reflective? I just realized that pictures show that is is very reflective because of the flashlight.

steveaikens
May 7th, 2011, 3:00 am
I wouldn't even consider it. The reflective tape is completely passive and provides a far wider area of coverage - ie, more bright light is reflective than any active system can reasonably cover. In addition, adding wiring to the bags makes them more difficult to remove/install in the bike.

The amount of light reflected back to those following you can only really be understood byt following someone that has it. It's bright and takes very little light to become so.

TheoM
May 7th, 2011, 6:00 am
I'm not sure LEDs on the side cases are very practical.

However, I DO have Hyperlights on my rear license plate area and they are terrific. I just installed a set on my neighbor's RT and they are bright even in the daytime. I also like that applying the brake causes them to flash for a few seconds. I've had occasion to touch the brake to flash them when I see someone coming up from behind a little to fast at a stoplight.

GVPurvis
May 7th, 2011, 10:21 am
How about this,it looks cool.After a while you get used to it......

ToJo
May 8th, 2011, 10:35 am
How about this,it looks cool.After a while you get used to it......
Wow, I had to put my shades on for that..

gameron
May 8th, 2011, 1:37 pm
I ordered a reflector kit from a very nice site which manufactures brilliant BMW accessories.
The kit did not arrive yet so I cant tell you yet my opinion however you may check this site - vert interesting stuff only for BMW: http://www.wunderlichamerica.com

Fearnot69
May 9th, 2011, 5:38 pm
Nice thread. I've been considered the same product. Can't beat the improved visibility.

John